College Street also known as College Lane was named around 1690 after the college that was founded by Viscount John Lowther of Lowther at the time of Sir John Lowther of Whitehaven. The college only lasted about forty years, despite noble aims to provide higher education to the wealthy of the North after which it appears the funds were diverted into a carpet manufactory.
The largest building is the Masonic Hall that appears to be just a fine 3 storey town house of the Georgian period.
Return to Whitehaven History
Return to home page
© WAWL 2009