Love Lane starts at the end of Duke Street and heads towards Whitehaven Castle in what is now castle park. It derives its name from a time when courting couples walked out together and the romantic setting away from the noise and dirt of the busy streets allowed them to whisper sweet nothings and spend time together.
It follows the line of the old road to Egremont which ran behind the house known as the Flatt, before it was the Castle and the road switched to the front, along Flatt Walks.
The monument to the left is a memorial to Robert Fisher, who died in 1911, in the form of a drinking trough for horses that was once situated in the middle of Tangier Street, before the days of motorised traffic.
Return to Whitehaven History
Return to home page
© WAWL 2009