Mark Lane used to be a short street connecting Strand Street with the harbour between Duke Street and Lowther Street. It disappeared when they built the old tax office which was then named Mark House.
Mark Lane originally ran just to the side of the main office block and was laid out in 1717 on land recovered from the sea. It had buildings on both sides - probably houses on the South side and warehouses on the North side which didn't extend quite as far onto the harbour. It seems to have been in existence up to the building of Mark House. There have been plans for many years to replace Mark House with a hotel or other accommodation.
Return to Whitehaven History
Return to home page
© WAWL 2010