Whitehaven

Nicholsons Alley

Nicholson's Alley used to connect the Market Place with the Harbour. Nicholson's Alley could have been named after Isaac Nicholson who had a grocery business in the Market Place but more likely it was named after a Whitehaven Shipbuilder called Samuel Nicholson who lived on Bardywell Lane. Samuel Nicholson built 29 ships between 1792 and 1814 - the first of which was Hope at 220 tons.

Map showng location of Nicholsons Alley in Whitehaven

Return to Whitehaven History

Return to home page

WAWL 2010