Whitehaven

Church Street

Church Street dates from around 1687 when Sir John Lowther decided to replace the existing chapel with a proper church more befitting his new town, although the line of the street had existed earlier with some plots dating back to 1664. The Church was built between the grid lines of the new streets unlike the chapel that straddled what is now Lowther Street. Church Street runs from Roper Street crosses Lowther Street and goes along the side of the church. Here it passes the ends of Addison Street and College Street then crosses Duke Street and finally meets George Street.

wch-tallhouse.jpg (29173 bytes)

wch-framed.jpg (60764 bytes)

wch-modern.jpg (56923 bytes)

wch-dukend.jpg (50763 bytes)

 

Return to Whitehaven History

Return to home page

WAWL 2009