Picture quiz 1 Picture quiz 2 Pub quiz part 2
A quick quiz to see if you can recognise some of these great pub signs from around the town. The 1911 directory listed well over a hundred pubs, taverns, inns and hotels in Whitehaven. Now there are only a couple of dozen and many of the newer ones don't have the traditional signs that used to give a visual guide to those that couldn't read.
Guess the names of the pubs - Click on each picture to see the answer.
1. A tall structure on top of a hill - name the pub?
2. A load of barrels - which pub do they represent?
3. A ship approaching a tropical beach - which drinking house is this?
4. This looks like a man who's done well for himself - but what is the pub?
5. Are you too busy looking at the shops to notice this pub?
6. A pub that serves beer - is that a good enough clue?
7. A White Mare possibly but then it might be a stallion?
8. Does this shield represent a good knight out?
On to the next quiz section